< /br>< /br>< /br>

MF and MF:I Clipping

For the things that don't fit elsewhere!

MF and MF:I Clipping

Postby natepm05 » 28 May 2013, 12:11

I use gnosis castbar and have a have a habit of clipping mindflay after the penultimate tick, to recast MF. Is this a dps loss? Also how does clipping with MF:I work? Should I try to get all ticks off MF:I or clip the last one off as mentioned above?
natepm05

Re: MF and MF:I Clipping

Postby Helycon » 28 May 2013, 12:16

natepm05 wrote:I use gnosis castbar and have a have a habit of clipping mindflay after the penultimate tick, to recast MF. Is this a dps loss? Also how does clipping with MF:I work? Should I try to get all ticks off MF:I or clip the last one off as mentioned above?

It doesn't matter where you clip MF or MFI, unless you have a proc or will lose a proc. For example, if you have an UVLS proc, you should try and recast MFI before that proc fall off. If this means it only ticked once since you cast it last, you will gain an aditional crit tick. Otherwise, you can clip it after one tick, or two. The only thing that'll change is, your button to cast MF/MFI will wear out sooner and you spend more mana. No procs means no change in damage.

As far as clipping MFI goes, you should clip it to recast anything that has a higher DPET than MFI has. Trying to recast your dots to make sure you don't have to recast them during will raise DPS as well, but if MB comes off CD, you should cast it straight away.
Helycon
Donor

Postby natepm05 » 28 May 2013, 12:22

So if DP is up on the target and I channel MF:I for only one tick, then recast MF:I and keep channeling for only one tick until DP runs off, I wouldn't be missing out on ticks?
natepm05

Postby Helycon » 28 May 2013, 12:45

natepm05 wrote:So if DP is up on the target and I channel MF:I for only one tick, then recast MF:I and keep channeling for only one tick until DP runs off, I wouldn't be missing out on ticks?

You should try and refresh MFI just before DP falls off, since every other MF tick after that, will count as MFI ticks still (save mastery, that will check if DP is still on, and since it won't be, the mastery procs of the MFI ticks, will count as regular MF ticks). It doesn't matter if your MF is about to finish or if the GCD has just finished, just try and make sure you can get a full channel done even when DP has already dropped.
Helycon
Donor

Postby natepm05 » 28 May 2013, 13:04

Okay. I've been pretty good at recasting MF right before DP falls off to squeeze out more MF:I ticks. I guess I was just more worried about my normal MF casts, but now I know.

Thanks for answering my questions Helycon!

Admin can delete this post.
natepm05

Return to General Shadow Discussion