< /br>< /br>< /br>

What are the tricks of YOUR trade? ;)

What are the tricks of YOUR trade? ;)

Postby Nezek » 23 Mar 2013, 18:16

Hi guys, I'd like to ask some of the more experienced shadow priests to possibly shed some light on trinket procs for me, I generally pull decent numbers during raids but recently I found myself struggling to maximise my numbers and I'm pretty sure it has alot to do with hesitation with regards to lining up procs and short buffs.

Character Profile: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... zek/simple

I'd just like to say I only managed 2 set last tier due to re rolling priest late on in the expansion, and after alot of sims have gone for off set items until I can get my hands on 2 and 4 set tier 15, as this is whats resulting in the max dps I can attain, currently on simcraft with all buffs on patchwerk encounter type I am rolling in at 122k DPS, with a light movement fight its more like 116k.

But yea, the main reason for this post is to find out if any of you guys have a set of "rules" you follow with regard to what your priority becomes when trinkets and short buffs proc, for example, do you refresh DoTs for the "Perfect Aim" trinket buff, or do you just Mind Flay?, do you refresh dots with any of your trinkets? ever?... Also, there has been alot of discussion on other forums and with friends of mine especially about the start of a fight when using Heroism, whats your openner? If you are rolling my glyphs, do you pop your shit all at once and hope for the best, or do you try to line up CD's before using Power Infusion? So nany questions!! This is all from me being inexpereinced playing Shadow Priest, and yes I know its a little messed up but I would really appreciate some hard line raiding tips which can boost my numbers, any rules you guys might follow to maximise, rules we can all use to make sure we are squeezing the most out of our priest.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post, just thought it would come under raiding, but yea, thanks again, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Nezek

Ps. If my gearing is wrong or anyone notices anything which shouldnt be, I'd really appreciate some constructive critiscm guys.. thanks.
Nezek

Re: What are the tricks of YOUR trade? ;)

Postby tussilago » 24 Mar 2013, 03:56

I think the shadowpriest guide covers most of what you bring up (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1701 - you can also click "Guides & Help" at the top of the page to find it).

When it comes to trinket procs. it's really comes down to which trinket(s) it's about. I would suggest to look up information on best use of a trinket through a search on the forums.

I'm not 100% sure on every trinket, but I think it generally goes like this (someone please correct me if I'm misinformed):

Intellect-proccing trinkets (and enchants) update on a per tick basis, in which case you should be fine to keep up with the regular priorities/rotation. (I guess you could get more out of your Halo or SW:I if you time them with high Int-proccs, but generally you want to keep those abilities on CD anyway, so waiting for a proc might not be worth the hassle.)

In the case of crit and haste, if they are strong procs. like on Unerring Vision of Lei-Shen (the one you have), you want to reapply DoTs on proc. Especially in combination with our T15 2p-bonus which gives us a 65% chance to extend our DoTs for each Shadow Apperation that hits. Shadow Apperations spawn on crits.

There are addons that can track trinket procs. for you in the guild linked above.

Good luck!
tussilago

Postby Cha » 26 Mar 2013, 05:08

tussilago wrote:I think the shadowpriest guide covers most of what you bring up (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1701 - you can also click "Guides & Help" at the top of the page to find it).

When it comes to trinket procs. it's really comes down to which trinket(s) it's about. I would suggest to look up information on best use of a trinket through a search on the forums.

I'm not 100% sure on every trinket, but I think it generally goes like this (someone please correct me if I'm misinformed):

Intellect-proccing trinkets (and enchants) update on a per tick basis, in which case you should be fine to keep up with the regular priorities/rotation. (I guess you could get more out of your Halo or SW:I if you time them with high Int-proccs, but generally you want to keep those abilities on CD anyway, so waiting for a proc might not be worth the hassle.)

In the case of crit and haste, if they are strong procs. like on Unerring Vision of Lei-Shen (the one you have), you want to reapply DoTs on proc. Especially in combination with our T15 2p-bonus which gives us a 65% chance to extend our DoTs for each Shadow Apperation that hits. Shadow Apperations spawn on crits.

There are addons that can track trinket procs. for you in the guild linked above.

Good luck!

I believe that the Unerring Vision proc in compination with the 2-T15 bonus got nerfed as it is taking a snapshot after the normal duration of your debuffs. It is not giving you 100% crit chance after that normal 15 seconds of your SW:P runs off and gets extended. So short: It doesnt benefit from the 2-T15 Bonus as it only counts for the normal duration->
The Apparitions take a snapshot after your normal duration of swp.
(Someone correct me here if I am wrong but there was a bluepost about it iirc)

I, for myself, got the trinket yesterday and directly went for the next haste breakpoint to get as much out of it as possible. (Im redotting when it procs)

A next question I ask myself now:

What if you just redottet the Boss because you had int-trinket procs and then suddenly unerring vision procs for 100% crit? Redot again to take the crit buff?

Also: Same trinket procs again for 100% crit, you only have enough time to apply 2 dots, SW:P, VT or DP? I guess DP and...?
Cha

Postby Xqzmeplz » 26 Mar 2013, 05:39

Cha wrote:Also: Same trinket procs again for 100% crit, you only have enough time to apply 2 dots, SW:P, VT or DP? I guess DP and...?

SW:P, cause you will get 100% SA's for the duration of the 100% Crit SW:P. I believe you better run VT instead of DP when not having at least 2 Orbs.
Xqzmeplz

Postby Hexn » 26 Mar 2013, 05:44

Cha wrote:I believe that the Unerring Vision proc in compination with the 2-T15 bonus got nerfed as it is taking a snapshot after the normal duration of your debuffs. It is not giving you 100% crit chance after that normal 15 seconds of your SW:P runs off and gets extended. So short: It doesnt benefit from the 2-T15 Bonus as it only counts for the normal duration->
The Apparitions take a snapshot after your normal duration of swp.
(Someone correct me here if I am wrong but there was a bluepost about it iirc)

Correct, the critical portion of the dot will update dynamically after the initial duration is over. But the combination is still very strong, because the 100% crit on SWP for 15 seconds still means you will be able to extend intprocced+potted+bloodlusted dots for longer and keep them running potentially for a few minutes.

If they hadn't nerfed that aspect of the trinket, shadowpriests would completely annihilate everyone else on the meters by a astronomical margin. Although a bit disappointing, it was a very sensible solution.

A next question I ask myself now:

What if you just redottet the Boss because you had int-trinket procs and then suddenly unerring vision procs for 100% crit? Redot again to take the crit buff?

Yes absolutely redot.

Also: Same trinket procs again for 100% crit, you only have enough time to apply 2 dots, SW:P, VT or DP? I guess DP and...?

My gut instinct tells me 3 Orb DP and SW:P has the highest priority. SWP might even be higher than DP3, due to the saved GCD potential you get from an extremely long spellpower/haste procced dot. VT comes right after, and then 2 Orb DP.

I don't think any exact math has been done on this yet, so for those who are lucky enough to have both 2P and Vision already, feel free to experiment and report your findings.
(Retired from raiding as per November 2013)
My Armory
Some SoO WoL rankings

Some WOL ranks from previous tiers
Hexn

Postby Cha » 26 Mar 2013, 05:45

Xqzmeplz wrote:
Cha wrote:Also: Same trinket procs again for 100% crit, you only have enough time to apply 2 dots, SW:P, VT or DP? I guess DP and...?

SW:P, cause you will get 100% SA's for the duration of the 100% Crit SW:P. I believe you better run VT instead of DP when not having at least 2 Orbs.

Ah ye sure. DPx3 SO ofc :)
Cha

Postby Nezek » 26 Mar 2013, 13:22

Yea, I have been redotting with the 100% crit buff, and also with high stacks of trinket procs, I have also been squeezing in a mind flay after the SWP + VT redot if I dont have atleast 2 Shadow Orbs.

Also just like to add I have gone for the second break point as from today as suggested by the Priest guide, thanks for the info ;)

Nez
Nezek

Postby Bandaidkit » 27 Mar 2013, 16:13

Hello folks,

I've been using this site for quite awhile and I've only found one question I have being difficult to answer.

I use Shadow Priest Dot Timers and I track all my procs. It's a very useful addon for me.

Before I ask my question, I'll present a scenario. I have just gotten Unerring Vision of Lei-Shen to proc and casted SW:P and VT with no other additional procs. 5 seconds down the road, Breath of the Hydra(normal), Jade Spirit, and Twist of Fate proc. Would it be better to reapply both SW:P/VT, just VT or neither and resume normal rotation of MB/MF/DP?

Any additional info is helpful as I'm trying to get the most of my procs without losing the stronger benefit of full crits.

Thanks for the help!

-Bandaidkit
Bandaidkit

Postby Hexn » 28 Mar 2013, 01:26

Bandaidkit wrote:Hello folks,

I've been using this site for quite awhile and I've only found one question I have being difficult to answer.

I use Shadow Priest Dot Timers and I track all my procs. It's a very useful addon for me.

Before I ask my question, I'll present a scenario. I have just gotten Unerring Vision of Lei-Shen to proc and casted SW:P and VT with no other additional procs. 5 seconds down the road, Breath of the Hydra(normal), Jade Spirit, and Twist of Fate proc. Would it be better to reapply both SW:P/VT, just VT or neither and resume normal rotation of MB/MF/DP?

Any additional info is helpful as I'm trying to get the most of my procs without losing the stronger benefit of full crits.

Thanks for the help!

-Bandaidkit

General rule; You should never overwrite vision dots within their initial duration, unless you get another vision proc.

If you have 2P T15, you need to remember when the initial duration is over so you know when it might be beneficial to reapply.

Assuming you have around 20% critical chance raidbuffed, vision dots will have around 80% higher DPET than normal dots, not including the extra apparitions you will also spawn on top. Even with ToF (+15%) and Trinket procs (+20%'ish?) you still arent getting anywhere near that kind of DPET.

Alhtough if they are really close to expiring, and your temporary buffs will also expire before you can reapply, you may want to do it.

Say there is 1 or 2 tick left of vision dots, but there is also 2 seconds left on your trinket+jade+ToF, then you may want to reapply.

Making really hard and fast rules of when to reapply dots is a bit tricky, I think you just kind of get a feel for it after a while.
(Retired from raiding as per November 2013)
My Armory
Some SoO WoL rankings

Some WOL ranks from previous tiers
Hexn

Postby noolana » 29 Mar 2013, 02:51

tussilago wrote: ...(someone please correct me if I'm misinformed):

Intellect-proccing trinkets (and enchants) update on a per tick basis, in which case you should be fine to keep up with the regular priorities/rotation...

hm, I was surprised by the "per-tick update" and feared I played my priest the wrong way since MoP.
Went to the dummies and testet it with SWP and it doesn't look like
it updates per tick but still per cast (with int-proccs).

I casted an unbuffed SWP on a dummy, Jade Spirit procced off of it,
but the SWP is still unbuffed at that point.
I did not recast SWP and waited, it ticked for 10,949.
During that duration with JS still up I got a mastery tick from SWP
which ticked for 11,647 (elegon trinket procced and it went up to ~13,4k).

So to me it seems like all proccs only benefit your dots if you recast them, right? I'd like some confirmation because I was a bit confused now^^
noolana

Return to Shadow Archive