< /br>< /br>< /br>

Ideas for fixing Insanity

For the things that don't fit elsewhere!

Ideas for fixing Insanity

Postby Venaliter » 02 Sep 2012, 19:09

It's no big secret SW:Insanity is a pretty clunky spell. I'd like some input on the communities ideas how to fix Insanity so it's a unique spell worth putting in our PvE toolbox.

This is my idea for Insanity:

Shadow Word: Insanity instantly clones all(Just VT/SW:P?) your dots on the target. 2 Min CD.

I think it's a pretty solid idea that would interact very strongly with our new Mastery. The catch being a single dispel in PvP would be crippling. That might not even matter; the niche for this idea is an alternate choice to Mindbender, with emphasis on a burst, rather then sustained, bit of damage.

Let's get some ideas going and maybe someone can toss up a thread where it would do some good.
Venaliter

Re: Ideas for fixing Insanity

Postby Woaden » 02 Sep 2012, 19:28

I liked it better when it worked more like a Rogue's Redirect where it exploded VT and SW:P. Essentially no damage was "wasted" if we switched targets. I understand they took that out because they didn't want us using that for normal single target.

The ability to duplicate DoTs would make it more attractive depending on the circumstances. Similar to making MS spread SW:P.

It would be nice if we had some more interplay with DoTs considering how 'blah' they feel right now (not including DP).
Woaden

Postby Venaliter » 02 Sep 2012, 19:44

Woaden wrote: Essentially no damage was "wasted" if we switched targets. I understand they took that out because they didn't want us using that for normal single target.

Good idea, but sounds suspiciously like Soul Swap, though. They are trying to make this classes feel distinct. DoTs have been "Switched" before. Dots have been blown up (Combustion), I don't think dots have ever been multiplied before!

Woaden wrote: The ability to duplicate DoTs would make it more attractive depending on the circumstances.

Curator. Magmaw. Maloriak. Anything with a +% damage taken phase.

Woaden wrote: It would be nice if we had some more interplay with DoTs considering how 'blah' they feel right now (not including DP).

Yeah.
Venaliter

Postby Blackmorgrim » 02 Sep 2012, 22:24

My general stance on how to fix SW:I

1) Instead of this 6 second window (which gets smaller as you get haste) to cast SW:I at the end of SW:P... Instead it requires SW:P to tick at least 5 times. This means you effectively can cast it in PVE every 6-10 gcds, depending on mastery procs. This also gives a randomness element for PVP.

Lastly, this change removes the fact that SW:I is at its weakest when every other ability is at its strongest... at a haste breakpoint.

2) SW:I on its own does no damage. All of SW:I's damage is merely the act of making all of SW:P's remaining ticks go off instantly so it will gain scaling with both haste and mastery. If you have 3 tick periods left on SW:P, this means SW:I will cause those 3 ticks to go off simultaneously, along with their potential mastery and SA procs. So, SW:I will have the potential to spawn a SA mob... which kind of better reflects the spell's namesake.

This makes the damage output of SW:I highly variable... but then it is called Shadow Word: Insanity... so a bit of unpredictability in the mix fits.

If the scaling becomes a bit too good... I suppose the damage of the instant ticks could just be scaled back. As far as my napkin math goes... on average, SW:I wouldn't be doing any less damage than MB or a FDCL proc (Though the damage range is very extreme). While more predicable than FDCL, you'll still be recasting SW:P far more often, so this talent will be the most mana ineffecient of the three.
My Twitter Feed: FlayerInTheMist

***Visit me over in Vitaris!***
Blackmorgrim#1728 (H2P:<H2P username> in msg box)

"People are not persuaded by what we say but rather by what they understand." - Fortune cookie
Blackmorgrim

Postby Venaliter » 02 Sep 2012, 23:23

Blackmorgrim wrote:My general stance on how to fix SW:I

1) Instead of this 6 second window (which gets smaller as you get haste) to cast SW:I at the end of SW:P... Instead it requires SW:P to tick at least 5 times.

This may make the talent better, but still incredibly clunky - far. far worse then FDCL.

Blackmorgrim wrote: 2) SW:I on its own does no damage. All of SW:I's damage is merely the act of making all of SW:P's remaining ticks go off instantly

The burst in PvP would quite literally be insane. Insane. They might cap the ticks, I suppose..but then you've created Malefic Grasp, haven't you?
Venaliter

Postby Blackmorgrim » 03 Sep 2012, 01:59

Venaliter wrote:This may make the talent better, but still incredibly clunky - far. far worse then FDCL.
I don't really see it very clunky... the cast time is relatively predictable, definitely far more than FDCL. But yes, it does cut into a lot of mind flay time... but then your dps is more bursty. But then its definitely no where near as clunky as the current version... where the clunkiness doesn't even make up for the subpar quality of the overall spell.

Venaliter wrote:The burst in PvP would quite literally be insane. Insane. They might cap the ticks, I suppose..but then you've created Malefic Grasp, haven't you?

Except Malefic grasp doesn't remove dots, and only does damage equivalent to 50% of one tick from each of your active dots.

Well the potential burst could be insane, yes. Considering the range of damage you're talking about on the spell would be between ~12000 and ~200000... +12000-66000 per haste breakpoint. So at SWP+2 you're looking at a range of 36000-332000. But the odds of having 5 ticks + 5 mastery procs all critically hitting and hitting with their shadow apps are astronomical. Again, on average, you'd probably only be don't damage comparable to a MB.
My Twitter Feed: FlayerInTheMist

***Visit me over in Vitaris!***
Blackmorgrim#1728 (H2P:<H2P username> in msg box)

"People are not persuaded by what we say but rather by what they understand." - Fortune cookie
Blackmorgrim

Postby Venaliter » 03 Sep 2012, 13:59

Pretty hard to think of an ability with interesting mechanics at this point. So many things have already been done.

It couldn't be anything like "Dots tick faster." Been done. It's Malefic Grasp.

It couldn't be anything like "Consume a dot to deal X damage." Been done. It's Combustion.

It can't be "Dots tick harder." That's haunt.

"Spread dots" is Pestilence. "Switch DoTs" is Soul Swap, "DoTs hit an additional target" could be interesting; but that's something dots are good at anyway.

"DoTs will critically hit" and "Dots are doubled." are really the only mechanics I don't recall being in game.
Venaliter

Postby Drye » 03 Sep 2012, 14:19

They could just add a +dmg to sw:p mechanic after casting it.
Stream: twitch.tv/Dryelulz
Hit me up on twitter @DryeLulz
Drye

Postby Aedus » 03 Sep 2012, 18:57

+SW:P damage and refreshes SW:P?

lol =P
~~Aedus
Blizzcon 2010 wrote:Shadow Priests have sort of been known for being those incredibly bursty casters. We want to capture that vibe, that explosion of awesome.
-Owen Landgren (Game Designer)
Aedus

Postby Venaliter » 03 Sep 2012, 19:15

Drye wrote:They could just add a +dmg to sw:p mechanic after casting it.

Hmm, I think I'd rather have them make Pain critically hit to summon Apparitions and have a bit of burst, but that's fine too!
Venaliter

Return to General Shadow Discussion