< /br>< /br>< /br>

DP3 vs GCD: How do they compare?

DP3 vs GCD: How do they compare?

Postby calistoknight » 10 Jan 2014, 13:04

Right now I'm doing a GCD build and my dps is competitive with most of the other dps in my group as is. But looking at some simdps numbers compared with other members on my realm that look to be DP3 builds, they are simming ~40k + dps compared to me.

So is DP3 the build to go for optimal dps and does it actually play out to performing significantly better than GCD in a raid environment. What are your guys experience with this?
calistoknight

Re: DP3 vs GCD: How do they compare?

Postby Tanned » 10 Jan 2014, 13:42

At the top end, they're so close that it's usually a matter of preference. That said, you will do less SimDPS if you are gemming all yellows and skipping a bunch of socket bonuses to get to GCD. In practice, who knows; a lot depends on fight, talent makeup, your trinkets, etc. I run at DP3 and probably won't go to GCD until I have a heroic BBOY.
Tanned

Postby Dakushisai » 22 Jan 2014, 17:37

You don't need BBoY to reach gcd cap.

If you get the right gear you'll have plenty of haste to gem towards without neglecting the intellect socket bonuses.

Personally I think gcd cap is better, it allows faster play and just feels a bit less clunky than running with dp+3, that's my personal opinion though.
Dakushisai

Postby Cerbz » 23 Jan 2014, 10:13

I've tried both and I'm definitely sticking to DP3. I really enjoy having 11k crit/mastery.
Cerbz

Postby Winsome » 23 Jan 2014, 11:27

I also prefer the DP3 breakpoint - the speed of the GDC doesn't suit me.

That leaves me with a gearing question though - if you are sticking with DP3 and have the 2pcT16 bonus, is it still proper to gear Crit/Mastery on a 1:1 ratio? I've stuck with my mastery-heavy build for the moment, as I'm not clear if the GDC breakpoint is part of what makes the 1:1 ratio work. Should I switch over to it, even if I'm sticking with DP3?
Winsome

Postby Alet » 24 Jan 2014, 06:03

I was going for DP3 during the entire gearing thing, but ive managed to get all the gear i wanted pre-garrosh (still 11/14hc) and i can say that after i went GCD while having 40% chance on mastery procs my DPS went up by a good ammount, so IMO go DP3 while gearing up and switch to GCD-1:1 as soon you get enough haste/mastery gear... Im even gemming reckless again on some sockets due to high level stats (hit capped/ 50% haste/ 40% mastery) cant remember my crit % right now.
Alet

Postby Cerbz » 24 Jan 2014, 10:25

Winsome wrote:I also prefer the DP3 breakpoint - the speed of the GDC doesn't suit me.

That leaves me with a gearing question though - if you are sticking with DP3 and have the 2pcT16 bonus, is it still proper to gear Crit/Mastery on a 1:1 ratio? I've stuck with my mastery-heavy build for the moment, as I'm not clear if the GDC breakpoint is part of what makes the 1:1 ratio work. Should I switch over to it, even if I'm sticking with DP3?

The 1:1 ratio is for our 2pc, not anything haste related.

Alet wrote:I was going for DP3 during the entire gearing thing, but ive managed to get all the gear i wanted pre-garrosh (still 11/14hc) and i can say that after i went GCD while having 40% chance on mastery procs my DPS went up by a good ammount, so IMO go DP3 while gearing up and switch to GCD-1:1 as soon you get enough haste/mastery gear... Im even gemming reckless again on some sockets due to high level stats (hit capped/ 50% haste/ 40% mastery) cant remember my crit % right now.

The increase in DPS isn't because of the GCD cap, you're just playing better. DP3/GCD are so close that it's all preference really.
Cerbz

Postby Twintop » 24 Jan 2014, 10:35

Cerbz wrote:
Winsome wrote:I also prefer the DP3 breakpoint - the speed of the GDC doesn't suit me.

The 1:1 ratio is for our 2pc, not anything haste related.

1:1 is for 4P T16. If you're rocking 2P T16 you're going to favor Mastery more. 4P affects our nukes, MBl/SWD/MSp, which are not affected by Mastery at all (other than procing them via talents).

Cerbz wrote:
Alet wrote:I was going for DP3 during the entire gearing thing, but ive managed to get all the gear i wanted pre-garrosh (still 11/14hc) and i can say that after i went GCD while having 40% chance on mastery procs my DPS went up by a good ammount, so IMO go DP3 while gearing up and switch to GCD-1:1 as soon you get enough haste/mastery gear... Im even gemming reckless again on some sockets due to high level stats (hit capped/ 50% haste/ 40% mastery) cant remember my crit % right now.

The increase in DPS isn't because of the GCD cap, you're just playing better. DP3/GCD are so close that it's all preference really.

This.

Trinkets, latency, and playstyle/comfort level all play a factor in which is better for you.
Twintop
Assistant Administrator

Postby Winsome » 24 Jan 2014, 14:00

Thank you - that was very helpful feedback. I've just started tackling heroics for the first time, and I'm eager to . . . well . . . get better. I've always loved this class, and would like to be more competitive.

I'm going to stick to the DP3 haste point because I think that is where my personal preference / abilities will help me play my best. But I'm only sitting on the 2 pc, so I won't move to the 1:1 until I get that final tier piece.

Much appreciated!
Winsome

Postby ak1230 » 25 Jan 2014, 11:30

Switched to GCD with the Toxic Totem recently. Decided that I like GCD playstyle more because it feels good to be able to line up that full MF:I channel with the next mind blast.
ak1230

Return to Shadow Archive