< /br>< /br>< /br>

Power infusion target

Power infusion target

Postby Mombi » 05 Jul 2012, 18:34

I guys. I would love to hear everyone's opinions on power infusion. I am used to giving power infusion to myself during healing intense phases on most encounters. Having the 20% mana reduction paired with my priest set bonus really helps me out. When I don't need PI, I will usually give it to a fire mage, boomkin, or spriest.

I am currently told by a whisper macro from my guild leader "PI ME NOW," as when he wants me to PI him. I am more than happy to do this when I do not need my PI. My issue with giving it to the raid leader isn't that I am giving it to him, but when I am giving it to him. I want to give it to someone when I can benefit from MY set bonuses the most. I was told that that giving PI to myself was "bad," and that no disc priest should give themselves PI ever, Which I completely disagree with. I am sure there are multiple schools of though on this issue. And perhaps neither side is right or wrong.

Of course, being new to my guild and wanting to listen to the raid leaders instructions I did what I was told with no argument. I also really like all the people in my new guild including the raid lead/gm. He is a super nice guy and seems to be a good leader, we just happen to disagree on this issue. Also, he is a shadow priest so he is a good target for PI.

Some people claim PI is a "dps only" cool down. I disagree. I have looked at logs from top priests to see what they are doing. I noticed that most are doing what I am. they are giving it to themselves when they need it, and to dps on less intense encounters.

these are some logs from some top priests that I respect and admire that sometimes, or often give themselves PI. Note that they do not always target themselves for PI but on some of the more healing intense fights like madness they do/have.

Affinitti used power infusion for himself
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-u ... 330&e=7123

Derevka used power infusion for himself
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/40oc ... 736&e=8072

So how do your guilds handle PI? And do agree with how they handle it? Should I stand up for my opinion or just be silent on this issue as not to cause any stress? I don't want to piss anyone off. I am currently a new recruit in this guild- and I like it a lot and want to stay there for a long time.

thanks for reading!
Mombi

Re: Power infusion target

Postby Ashleycakez » 05 Jul 2012, 19:20

My guild doesn't care who I PI unless I specifically say "I will use it on a dps for this fight." The only fight I said that was for Heroic Ultraxion, Spine, and Madness progression where we needed to get more dps out and not necessarily more healing.

For now, I put PI on our Ele Shaman as he is our strongest dps. I don't feel like I need the mana reduction to line up with anything I'm using anymore. I did use PI on myself for Heroic Zon'ozz though as I filled the role of mass PW:Shield on our 10 man raid so that we could survive the orb bounces (no one to soak solo). PI + PoH during the dark phase was excellent.
Ashleycakez || <Seraphim> || Stream || Priest Healing Tips
<Seraphim> is recruiting! 10 man mature raiding
11/16H T14 & 13/13H T15 & 13/14H T16
Ashleycakez

Postby worldboss » 08 Jul 2012, 11:40

A couple things to look at
1. Affinity was 5 healing heroic madness so it was more than likely being used for the mana and output(we 7 heal it)
2. For Dereveka, on a fight like Blackhorn it is hard to say the usage, they could use it with his AA as a type of a cooldown for a disrupting roar, or it could have been an oh shit half the raid got shockwaved(I looked they did)

Basically any external CD you should consider the raids, which means that they are used best for the raid not for individuals(the reason I have the macro is that I am the top dps of those who benefit the most). While there are situations where it does make more sense to feed it to yourself(5 healing heroic madness)most situations the dps is the larger issue not the healing. Derevka actually somewhere in his blog mentions he much prefers to PI dps, additionally when using it on a DPS the key is to use it to maximize RDPS and not your personal gain, so that is why those who are receiving it should have it macro'd so you know when to use it on them.

All in all, any external type CDs that anyone has fall to the raid and not the individual and that being the raid's CDS they are for the Raid Leader to decide(hell I don't like losing DPS time to use my Hymns). There will always be different chains of thought on things like this, but what is right is what your raid does because this is not a situation where its black and white(like if say a Ret Paladin demanded DI)
worldboss
Banned

Postby derevka » 08 Jul 2012, 13:27

Affinity probably was using it for throughput since they were 5 healing, Adding a whole extra DPS instead of six healing it is more DPS than 6 healing, and PIing one DPS. However its the end of May... 5 healing Heroic Madness isn't super difficult, particularly with the debuffs and if your raid in full 410 gear/used to farming the encounter... he could have just been parse chasing or whatever; looking at logs this far into farm content really isnt a fair way to analyze them.

Onto my log:
You're looking at a fight where I frankly used it horribly. I used it a whopping 1 time.... whoopie do. And in all honestly, horrible play by me, if I say so myself. Bad Derevka, is bad. But then again its a log from May... farm content, so everything really was kinda phoned in from an effort standpoint.

PI really should NOT be used on a healer unless its a HOLY SHIT OMG WE NEED INCREASED OUTPUT, NOW... which, really shouldnt be all that often, but in that log is what happened. For whatever reason back in May/March? whatever month that log is from.

Now, you're cherry picking fights... lets look at something a bit more representative. Look at the rest of the logs, very rarely do I use it on myself, and frankly cannot condone its use on a healer unless in key dire situations. (or unless you're trying to catch a parse and are parse chasing during farm content)

Also, most of the logs that arent expired, are from farm content, so really it isnt a representative log of what I typically do. (aka. ez-mode raids for us, translate into phoning effort in... ) For the last several months raids have just been screwing around, bringing in social members, etc... so, take that with a grain of salt.

If you looked, in aggregate, I'd bet well over 90% of the PI's cast were on DPS during progression content.

TLDR: very rarely should you 'need your PI' if you need your PI regularly, there might be something greater wrong with the raid comp, healer comp, or maybe even your playstyle. Now, there is no 'right way to play' however, if you're looking for a blanket statement: In most situations, PI should go to DPS.

Edit:

To answer your specific question; generally speaking your CD's in a raiding guild are not 'yours' they are for the raid... just like in WOTLK that DK buff, Hysteria, they could cast on people; and was often deemed by the raid best to be used on a non-DK. Castable buffs, are for the 'benefit of the raid'. You should be looking to improve the raid overall not single play. If your RL/GL thinks its better used elsewhere.... play as a team; especially as a recruit.
derevka
Assistant Administrator

Postby Mombi » 10 Jul 2012, 12:39

oh, his boss ;)

thanks for your replies guys. much appreciated.
Mombi

Postby Mombi » 10 Jul 2012, 12:41

I guess my real issue was coming from a guild where we were having to carry multiple healers and I needed the extra throughput. I should now trust that I am in a better place with much better healers and do what is best for the team overall. I see it clearly now. ty!
Mombi

Postby worldboss » 10 Jul 2012, 13:34

The rain is goooone!
worldboss
Banned

Return to Holy & Disc Archive