< /br>< /br>< /br>

What mouse do YOU use?

What mouse do YOU use?

Postby Uzerik » 25 Oct 2013, 16:26

Recently my Logitech MX518 died after about 3 years of faithful service, and I've been looking for the next big thing as far as "gaming mice" go.

I'm in a progression guild and as of Oct 25th, we're still stuck on Garrosh. I rarely if ever do PvP and pretty much just stick to my disc priest for everything.

I just recently bought the logitech G600 thinking about all those fantastic macros I can bind to my mouse! This thing is driving me nuts. There are so many buttons that it's cluttered and the mouse is unbalanced due to not having the ring finger on the side to anchor it.

So I went to Amazon to shop through their comments about various mice then had an awesome idea.. Get in here and ask YOU guys what you all use and love!

When you think about it, nothing we use is more important to our playstyle than our mouse! I can confirm this since my overall numbers dropped like a bubbly rock after switching to this newfangled contraption.
Uzerik

Re: What mouse do YOU use?

Postby Sheitan » 25 Oct 2013, 16:46

I've been using an original naga for a few years now. I love it. It does have the ring finger spot that you mentioned your g600 not having. However, I don't recommend binding rotational abilities to the thumb buttons of any "mmo" mouse. Save them for CDs and such (dispersion, fade, pots, halo, etc.). The biggest benefit is sparing your keyboard hand from extra movement via moving further away to press these buttons or having to use shift or other modifiers with macros.

You mentioned that the g600 feels cluttered due to too many buttons. Any mmo mouse with a bunch of buttons is going to feel that way for a while. You'll get used to it, though.
Sheitan

Postby Hygeia » 25 Oct 2013, 16:53

tbh other peoples' opinions of mice are going to be completely subjective and based on their experience. It won't work for you. My recommendation is, if you play at that high of a level, is buy an MX518 to use so you're not completely handicapped and then buy additional mice to test out during farm/off-raid nights to see if you like any other mice, and then return the MX518 for a refund if you find something better.

From personal experience, gaming mice and keyboards are entirely overrated. I struggle a lot with total number of available keybinds becasue I'm lefthanded, and instead of using 'wasd' for movement, I use 'ijkl'. This prevents me from being able to use the ctrl key as a modifier entirely and limits my modifier macros to 2/3 of what a typical player might play with. The reason I say this, is because being left-handed means i use my mouse in my left hand, and most of the gaming mice are not ergonomically shaped for left handed people so I can't use them at all. The ones that are properly shaped have the macro buttons on the left-inside part of the mouse for a right-handed persons thumb, but that would be my pinky, so it doesn't work. I've tried, over the years, a few of the symmetrical mice that aren't form-factored by handedness and have just found that the adjustment of going from a standard mouse to a precision gaming mouse has been way too much sensitivity to relearn and I ended up just going back to whatever I was using. I did, however, recently purchase a Logitech G300, and it's perfect for me because it's symmetrical, has symmetrical buttons on both the top-left and top-right of the mouse (only two on each side, not 12 like some other ones have) but it's allowed me to bind ctrl to one of those buttons and give me a whole slew of new keybinds to use. It's also not really all that much more sensitive than a standard laser mouse, which I like. All said and done I perform just as well as anyone with a gaming mouse and crazy kebyind setups, I just have a little less flexibility in my binds.

But really, my experience is probably not the same as anyone elses, nor will anyone elses be the same as yours. I suggest just buying a new one and trying out other kinds of mice if you have enough disposable income to afford it. If not, well, you know how the saying goes "if it ain't broke..."
Hygeia

Postby Ashleycakez » 25 Oct 2013, 17:20

I have the g600 and I love it. Went straight to it from a cheap-o 3 button mouse. Its great because I cant crush it during intense grinding (its happened).

The weight was a change to get used to, but it is a great mouse. My only complaint is that it can get a bit jumpy at times. Happened at the end of our H LS kill and I was freaking out trying to get the cursor back over my raid frames lol
Ashleycakez || <Barracuda> || Stream || Priest Healing Tips
<Barracuda> is recruiting! Mythic raiding! Mature environment!
14/14H T16 pre 6.0 | 14/14 Mythic T16
Ashleycakez

Postby Hogarella » 25 Oct 2013, 17:33

Anyone using left hand for mouse or is it just me?!
Hogarella

Postby Hygeia » 25 Oct 2013, 17:59

Hogarella wrote:Anyone using left hand for mouse or is it just me?!

It's almost like you didn't read my post at all. :p
Hygeia

Postby Coda » 25 Oct 2013, 18:12

I have a Naga and I absolutely love it, it did take a while to get used to using all the buttons on the side but the little 'training' stickers that come with it really help. I had the Razer Death Adder before the Naga which, in comparison, is a much bigger mouse but it only has 5 buttons total (2 on the side).

I am currently eyeing off the new '2014' Naga. Not because there is anything wrong with mine but because of the features it has. It's got 12 mechanical buttons, nicer and almost slightly bigger looking overall design, tilt scroll wheel, and some other features.

The biggest thing that makes me want to get it is how they have changed the 12 side buttons, the shape of the mouse on that side curves outwards instead of inwards and the buttons are all more predominant and look easier to press. They have a full comparison between the 2012 and the 2014 on their site if you do want to check it out.

The new Naga also isn't that expensive, only like $69 before postage if you're buying in USA.

I would definitely recommend investing in a Naga. Granted they aren't for everyone and this is my own personal opinion but I've never had any issues with Razer mice and my Naga is really comfortable to use for long periods of time which for me is really important.
Coda

Postby Grim » 25 Oct 2013, 18:22

Razer Naga. Having those extra buttons for keybinds is amazing.
Grim

Postby Rubine » 25 Oct 2013, 18:32

Hygeia wrote: My recommendation is, if you play at that high of a level, is buy an MX518 to use so you're not completely handicapped and then buy additional mice to test out during farm/off-raid nights to see if you like any other mice, and then return the MX518 for a refund if you find something better.

Sadly they do not make the MX518 anymore (I had one for a good 6 or 7 years before the right button started to wear out...LOVED that mouse).

The good news is, they make the G400(s), which is pretty much just an upgraded MX518 (same size, same button layout, etc). I bought a G400 a year or so ago and I've been happy with it since. It looks like they don't make the G400 anymore either, it's now the G400s (which is a weird blue tron-esque design that I don't really like), but I imagine other than the color and maybe some minor changes it will be exactly like the G400 and MX518 before it.

I've debated before about trying a Naga or some other MMO type mouse, but my hands are pretty small so I don't think I'd really like the fit.

I'm quite happy with my simple mouse. :)
Rubine#1472
Rubine
Donor

Postby Uzerik » 25 Oct 2013, 19:10

One thing I didn't mention on my initial post is my keyboard setup. Hygeia mentioned the difference in keyboard useage and I also play abit differently. Because of how I play, I don't think I need all that many buttons on my mouse.

Instead of WASD I moved it over a touch, and use ESDF. A and G I use for my strafing keys. You'll see that your hand rests in a much more comfortable position there, and by moving it over one key, that opens up more surrounding keys for more macro/hotkeys.
Uzerik

Return to General Chat Archive