< /br>< /br>< /br>

Disc and Raiding

Disc and Raiding

Postby Samcro » 25 Jun 2011, 07:42

Hey guys,

I'm new to this board. A friend of recommended coming here to find out information about raiding as Discipline.

Currently I raid as a Holy spec, and I find it useful for being able to handle large amounts of AOE dmg in certain situations, and then swap over to a different Chakra for tank healing in other situations. My concern about switching to discipline is the lackluster AOE healing ability. I guess my question(s) are...do you disc priests find AOE healing a challenge when dps fails at avoiding dmg? Also how is the mana regen (through mp5, shields and replenishment) vs a Holy spec? Currently in epics and blues, I'm sitting at about 3600 mp5 in combat, not counting replenishment.

Much appreciated,

Sam
Samcro

Re: Disc and Raiding

Postby Ashleycakez » 25 Jun 2011, 08:26

I think the hardest part for us Holy Priests, who have strictly raided as Holy, is learning how to heal as Disc.

You need to get in the mindset that you are trying to prevent damage before it happens. Thus, shielding 2-4 people in your raid, provided your mana can handle it, is the best way to deal with incoming damage.

Another way is to cast PoH on your groups before damage comes so that DA is up.

I guess... I'm not the best Disc Priest by any means. ._.

There are two Disc specs, however. Archangel/Atonement may lend itself to stronger AoE heals than SoS/ToT. My preference is Strength of Soul/Train of Thought as I feel atonement is very gimmicky but if it works for you then rock it.

Idk if you raid 25 man or 10 man, but here are my own parses. As a Holy Priest being totally lost about how to play Disc lol

Ashleycakez (alt) - 25 man Normal Maloriak
Ashleycakez (main) - 10 man Normal ODS
^ There are other kills that night (and other nights) where I played as Disc if you want to browse those as well. I just linked a normal fight.

As you can see, Disc is quite powerful and if you know how to play it well you can cheat your ilvl and perform very strongly.

For SoS/ToT spec (don't copy my alt priest's spec, its bad and I hardly play her - points need to be moved around), I just make sure I do my best to cast PoM on CD (if there is pulsing damage) and to Penance on CD if it is needed. Shield like crazy, and use Power Infusion on cooldown.
Ashleycakez || <Barracuda> || Stream || Priest Healing Tips
<Barracuda> is recruiting! Mythic raiding! Mature environment!
14/14H T16 pre 6.0 | 14/14 Mythic T16
Ashleycakez

Postby Arlee » 25 Jun 2011, 08:51

I am the friend that told him to post over here :p We raid 10 mans and it looks like our healing for firelands will be a priest, resto shammy, and a resto druid (with a holy pally possibly trading in and out depending on if people can't show and stuff).
Arlee
Donor

Postby Ashleycakez » 25 Jun 2011, 09:13

He can raid as Holy just fine with that comp. It's the comp I used to raid with ^^b Resto Shaman and Resto Druid can tank heal a hell of a lot better than Holy Priest. And H Priest AoE healing just can't be beat.

I've only been Disc lately to ease 2 healing heroic encounters, specifically H Magmaw. Scary stuff T_T
Ashleycakez

Postby Ashleycakez » 25 Jun 2011, 11:16

I find it useful for being able to handle large amounts of AOE dmg in certain situations, and then swap over to a different Chakra for tank healing in other situations

The only fights I would really find it necessary to switch Chakra states midfight are:

p2 nef: If your pillar only has 3 people including yourself, I've found it more beneficial to change to Chakra: Serenity and keep Renew rolling on all my targets via Heal/Binding Heal.

p3 nef: If you are healing the kiting tank, Chakra: Serenity really shines. Binding Heal and a clutch HW: Serenity to up your healing on the tank.

Heroic Conclave: I heal the Rohash platform in Chakra: Serenity (Renew on all targets, Binding Heal/Heal spam), and swap to Chakra: Sanctuary once Nezir's ultimate starts.

Really you can heal just fine for almost all fights exclusively in Chakra: Sanctuary. Being in Sanctuary does not prohibit you from casting single target heals, in fact if raid damage is light at times it is nice to spam Heal on targets just to keep your hps up. Just something to keep in mind if you decide to continue healing as Holy.
Last edited by Ashleycakez on 25 Jun 2011, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Ashleycakez

Postby Floaties » 25 Jun 2011, 11:25

Disc AOE healing isn't as potent as holy, but it has it's uses nonetheless. For one, you can whack-a-mole with PW:S pretty well. You'll be surprised when you see how many PW:S break immediately on a target that was under 30k.

Borrowed Time management is key to PoH healing. PoH is ever-so-slightly more HPS than PW:S (assuming similar mastery, crit, and haste to mine). However, for steady aoe healing like AlAkir P2 PW:S is worth using because Borrowed Time PoH is good. That, and you can PW:S for Borrowed Time, cast PoM and Penance and THEN PoH before it falls off.

Here is my parse for our first 25 H AlAkir.
Click Me :)

Disc has great healing potential. However, mana will be what holds you back. Really the main thing to practice is keeping Rapture on ICD. A well managed Rapture (assuming over 120k mana buffed) easily gives you more than 3k mp5.

If the fight isn't a dps check, use PI on yourself if you plan on throwing more than a few shields out for events such as Maloriak's flames.
~(^.^~) ~(^.^)~ (~^.^)~ ~(^.^~) ~(^.^)~ (~^.^)~ ~(^.^~) ~(^.^)~ (~@.@)~
~(^.^~) ~(^.^)~ (~^.^)~ ~(^.^~) ~(^.^)~ (~^.^)~ ~(^.^~) ~(^.^)~ (~^.^)~
Floaties

Postby Arlee » 25 Jun 2011, 11:47

Ashleycakez wrote:He can raid as Holy just fine with that comp. It's the comp I used to raid with ^^b Resto Shaman and Resto Druid can tank heal a hell of a lot better than Holy Priest. And H Priest AoE healing just can't be beat.

I've only been Disc lately to ease 2 healing heroic encounters, specifically H Magmaw. Scary stuff T_T

It's not so much worry about being able to do Holy with that comp, it's more that he had made a comment about wishing he could justify being disc for PvE, and unless I am totally confused about stuff, I didn't think there is any reason with that comp why he wouldn't be able to be disc and still be very effective. Though I think he would need to be focused on tank healing as a tank, or am I confused on that?
Arlee
Donor

Postby Ashleycakez » 25 Jun 2011, 13:06

There is no reason why you should or shouldn't play one spec over another in the current content. Really play what you are best at.

If he does go disc, with that comp I would expect him to be more focused on tank healing while still providing damage mitigation to the raid via pw:shield and other bubbles.
Ashleycakez

Postby Floaties » 26 Jun 2011, 11:59

Rereading the OP, he asked if mp5 and aoe healing is difficult or lackluster as disc.

If you manage your rapture, you have the best mp5 in the game. You still have the worst mana costs.

You won't have as much aoe hps, but you will be able to react well to unexpected burst and you can prepare for the expected. It's very effective in its own way.
~(^.^~) ~(^.^)~ (~^.^)~ ~(^.^~) ~(^.^)~ (~^.^)~ ~(^.^~) ~(^.^)~ (~@.@)~
~(^.^~) ~(^.^)~ (~^.^)~ ~(^.^~) ~(^.^)~ (~^.^)~ ~(^.^~) ~(^.^)~ (~^.^)~
Floaties

Postby Ashleycakez » 26 Jun 2011, 12:24

Puddingcup wrote:Rereading the OP, he asked if mp5 and aoe healing is difficult or lackluster as disc.

If you manage your rapture, you have the best mp5 in the game. You still have the worst mana costs.

You won't have as much aoe hps, but you will be able to react well to unexpected burst and you can prepare for the expected. It's very effective in its own way.

Inner Will can help to reduce the mana costs and up your mana gained from Rapture. I still prefer Inner Will when I heal as Disc.
Ashleycakez

Return to Holy & Disc Archive