[H2P] 5-Man Healing Cheat Sheet -- 26 Jun 2015 (WoD Edition)
by Ashleycakez » 10 Nov 2014, 14:14
Many starting Priests stop by our forum looking for useful tips to help them as they progress through Priesthood. I've provided these pointers to help not only low level Priests but Priests at max level who still feel uncomfortable healing or may be switching to healing from playing Shadow! These are tips for those of you beginning healing to help you in the dungeons and heroic dungeons you encounter in your journey.
These pointers are exclusively for PvE (player vs. environment).
Which spec should I play?
Either one works. Remember this when making the decision:
- Holy is a reactive healing spec. This means that your group will take damage and you will heal it after the fact.
- Disc is a mitigation spec, which means that you will prevent incoming damage on your group via absorption.
Tips for Holy and Discipline:
- Use Mindbender on or near its cooldown as often as possible. It is best to use it when your mana drops to 80%, and then to continue using it on its CD.
- If you are not specced into Mindbender, use it on CD as an offensive burst cooldown.
- If specced into Power Word: Solace, make sure to use this spell on cooldown.
- Talented for Surge of Light? Monitor those procs and use them up before they expire! SoL is great for refreshing Renew in Holy or topping off/applying Divine Aegis (if critical) as Discipline.
- Flash Heal heals for the same amount as Heal, but has a faster cast time. Use Flash Heal when your target is in need of near immediate healing and conserve mana with Heal in other situations.
- Prayer of Mending (PoM) is a particularly useful spell for area-of-effect (AoE) damage. The best use of this spell in dungeons involves casting it on your tank and monitoring when it fades or all its charges are used. PoM is not necessarily the best spell to cast on cooldown. It is in your best interest to use it only when AoE damage is going out, especially if your mana is suffering.
- Power Infusion is now accessible by both Holy and Disc. Use this cooldown as you need for the additional throughput and mana reduction.
- Enhanced Leap of Faith (level 92) provides 50% increased healing for your next non-periodic heal on the target which LoF was used. Useful for topping off players who love fire!
Tips for Holy:
- Once your Chakra abilities become available at level 56, make sure you are ALWAYS in a Chakra state. The best Chakra state to use for dungeons and heroic dungeons is Chakra: Serenity, which increases the amount your single target healing spells heal for and causes your single target heals to refresh Renew.
- Please note that Chakra states are no longer as punishing as they once were. It is fine to heal in Chakra: Sanctuary, but for single target healing Serenity is still recommended.
- At level 92, the Priest learns the Enhanced Chakras passive, reducing the cooldown on Chakra states by 20 seconds. You can stance dance with little repercussion now!
- Maintain Renew on your tank. It will be refreshed with single target heals if you are in Chakra: Serenity.
- Stick to Renew, Heal, and Holy Word: Serenity for single target healing (player above 60% hp).
- If a player’s health drops below 40%, use one of the following methods to bring him up:
- HW: Serenity -> Flash Heal -> Heal
- Flash Heal -> Flash Heal -> Heal
- Use Guardian Spirit before the above rotations as needed.
- Note that HW: Serenity is not only an emergency spell, but also a low cost single target heal to be used on or near CD.
- There is absolutely no requirement to keep stacks of Serendipity up. Think of this passive as a way of making Flash Heall ok to use when necessary.
- If you and another player in your group take damage use Binding Heal instead of Flash Heal. BH interacts with the Holy toolkit in the same manner that FH does (Serendipity gain, Renew refreshing).
- Glyphed Binding Heal will heal yourself and 2 other players.
- It is good practice to refresh Renews on multiple players taking damage via direct healing while in Chakra: Serenity.
- Sometimes, more damage is incoming than expected, and the Priest should revert to casting Prayer of Healing followed by a Circle of Healing to stabilize the group (3+ people taking damage).
- If the damage is too severe, fall in to FH/BH > FH/BH > PoH chain chasting.
- Always drop Lightwell for boss fights. Lightwell is also a great resource for large trash pulls.
- At lower levels, Power Word: Shield is often an appropriate spell to use. However, as one approaches level 85 and higher, PW:S will quite noticeably become less effective in comparison to your single target heals. At 100, Holy Priests will reserve PW:S use strictly for Body and Soul (talent).
Tips for Discipline:
- Silence! Interrupt spells on cooldown to decrease the damage your group takes.
- Maintain Power Word: Shield on your tank.
- Maintaining PW: Shield on other targets taking damage is good practice, but not at the cost of neglecting your mana and the other spells in your toolkit.
- If specced into Clarity of Will (level 100), maintain this shield on your tank at all times.
- If 3+ people in your group take damage use Prayer of Healing.
- Power Word: Shield is the most mana efficient way to apply full shields to your party (RIP Spirit Shell).
- At level 92, Discipline learns the Empowered Archangel passive, which grants the next PoH/FH cast after activating Archangel 100% increased critical strike chance. Use this to your advantage for Divine Aegis application on your party (PoH)/tank (FH).
- If you anticipate incoming damage use PW: Barrier on your party to block most of it. Don't be afraid to use it as a single target cooldown for your tank if Pain Suppression has already been used.
- Build up 5 stacks of Evangelism as you can manage to do so. Do not prioritize Atonement healing over direct healing if someone is taking excess damage.
- Continue to maintain Evangelism at 5 stacks by casting Holy Fire/PW:So on cooldown so that you can use Archangel when damage picks up.
- When used offensively, Penance gives 1 stack of Evangelism per cast. However, when used defensively, it is also your strongest single target heal.
- When your group members are above 85% hp, focus on healing from Holy Fire/PW: Solace and Penance (Atonement).
- Use Smite as your mana and the content allows. It is not as potent a filler as it once was.
- Better filler spells between the HF/PW:So cooldown are PW: Shield and defensive Penance.
- If a player’s health drops below 60% then PW: Shield (to gain Borrowed Time) -> Penance or PW: Shield -> Heal or Flash Heal if Penance is on CD.
- In the above emergency situations you can also use your Archangel cooldown to increase your healing.
- Utilize Archangel for when your entire group has taken a large hit and you want a stronger healing to get health pools stabilized. Archangel is a short cooldown and its use should not be held off too long.
- Words of Mending (level 100 talent) does not gain stacks from Atonement heals, nor do Atonement heals count to trigger the PoM at 10 stacks of WoM.
- Posts: 1659
- Joined: 10 Feb 2011, 20:07
by Aethyx » 10 Nov 2014, 15:20
Ashleycakez wrote:If a player's health is under 40% and they already have Weakened Soul, apply PW: Shield (to gain Borrowed Time) to another player and heal the injured player.
If you are only aiming to heal 1 player on low health to rescue him/her from certain death, borrowed time won't make up for the GCD that is lost for casting PW:S on someone else first so you're better off immediately casting a heal on the critical player.
That said if there's 2 players you need to keep alive, cycling PW:S for borrowed time with (flash) heals is a good way to increase HPS momentarily. The paragraph could be interpreted as such if you meant another player at 40% health?
Might be worth mentioning that Penance is discipline's only single-target heal that is somewhat 'front loaded', making it very good for emergencies if it happens to be off cooldown.
Nice and clean summary for Healing through dungeons as priest, good job (as always)!
by Ashleycakez » 10 Nov 2014, 16:56
When used offensively, Penance gives 1 stack of Evangelism per cast. However, when used defensively, it is also your strongest single target heal.
Not clear enough about defensive Penance?
I was toying with suggesting that the Disc aim to keep BT up, but I think that would be a mana drain/unproductive in the end.
- Posts: 1659
- Joined: 10 Feb 2011, 20:07
by Aethyx » 11 Nov 2014, 01:52
I agree that borrowed time is not worth focusing on too much in dungeons (the gain is very small at low haste levels), although time might prove me wrong? It seems like a mechanic with quite some depth when it comes to gearing choices, but that's a discussion for another place.
by HotblondeIFOM » 17 Nov 2014, 03:34
by Ashleycakez » 17 Nov 2014, 07:21
Does your character's stat sheet update when you gain Borrowed Time?
- Posts: 1659
- Joined: 10 Feb 2011, 20:07
by Sacer » 17 Nov 2014, 21:37
- Posts: 245
- Joined: 13 Sep 2012, 15:50
- Location: Twin Cities, MN
by Adinne » 18 Nov 2014, 11:05
HELP me with HealCalc: https://github.com/skiadas/HealCalc3/wiki/How-to-help
HealNotes Blog: http://www.healadinne.com/HealNotes
- Posts: 740
- Joined: 02 Jan 2013, 10:28
by Sheyala » 22 Nov 2014, 13:46
•At lower levels, Power Word: Shield is often an appropriate spell to use. However, as one approaches level 85 and higher, PW:S will quite noticeably become less effective in comparison to your single target heals. At 100, Holy Priests will reserve PW:S use strictly for Body and Soul (talent).
This does not seem to be correct any more. PWS does multistrike and crit for Holy, is much better HPM than FH and good HPS as well.
by Venexinferis » 07 Dec 2015, 01:23
Tier 2: I'm guessing here it's largely irrelevant in 5-man, but Body and Soul would be the choice. (btw your tooltip is showing Angelic Feather)
Tier 3: would I be correct in my understanding that Surge of Light is the best here?
Tier 5: Power Infusion is more appropriate or still a matter of play style choice?
Tier 6: While I've seen some holy still using Cascade, in a 5-man would Halo be the better choice of the 3?
Other than Renew, would it be Circle of Healing + Binding Heal?
So it turns out to be more a bunch of questions, sorry about that! :)
And again, thanks for taking the time.
Contact: Email The Administrator